An impressive looking pud to serve up to your guests, our Spiced Pear Tarte Tatin topped with our Pear ‘n’ Maple limited edition yoghurt is a mouthwatering take on the classic French dessert.
Alrighty, you’ll need:
- 3 pears
- 80g salted butter, plus more for brushing
- 120g caster sugar
- ½ tsp. ground ginger
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp. ground cardamom (from 4 pods)
- ½ tsp. vanilla powder or essence
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp. brandy
- Juice ¼ of a lemon
- 500g block all-butter puff pastry
- The Collective Pear ‘n’ Maple limited edition yoghurt
Now you need to:
- Peel and core the pears then cut into wedges approx. 1-2cm thick. Take your pastry out of the fridge to bring to room temperature.
- Melt the butter and sugar on a medium heat in an ovenproof pan that is roughly 20-22cm wide. When the sugar has dissolved, add the spices, vanilla and a pinch of salt and stir to combine. Add the brandy and let it bubble for a moment then squeeze in the lemon juice.
- Turn the heat down slightly and add the pears to the caramel, spooning the caramel over them so they’re covered. Cook them gently for around 10 minutes until tender but retaining their shape. Turn the heat off and allow to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, heat your oven to 190oC (fan) and roll your pastry out using a rolling pin to about the thickness of a £1 coin. You may need to lightly flour your work surface to prevent sticking. Using a plate that is slightly larger than your pan, cut the pastry into a circle, wrapping the off-cuts in clingfilm and storing in the fridge to use in another recipe.
- Arrange your pear slices prettily in the pan. Drape the pastry over the pears and tuck the edges snugly around the pears and down the sides of the pan. Brush the top of the pastry lightly with butter and pierce a few times with a fork.
- Put the pan in the oven and cook for 30-35 minutes until the pastry is golden and has puffed up. Take out of the oven and let sit for 10 minutes before running a knife around the outside and turning the tart onto a serving plate.
- Serve immediately with The Collective Pear ‘n’ Maple limited edition yoghurt on the side.
If you make our Spiced Pear Tarte Tatin, then share it with us on social media and tag us in your creations using #thecollectivekitchen and we might have to treat you!
Facebook – thecollectiveinuk
Twitter – collectivedairy
Instagram – thecollectiveuk
Recipe and photo credit: Olivia Williamson