These spelt pancakes are an awesome option for a weekend brekkie and are super nutrient dense, especially topped with a dollop of our Coconut kefir cultured yoghurt!
Makes 8-10 small pancakes.
Alrighty, you’ll need:
For the mango
- 1 large ripe mango
- Small knob of ginger, peeled
- Zest of 1 lime, juice of half
For the pancakes
- 180ml milk
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 80g white flour
- 50g spelt flour (wholegrain or white)
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ¾ tsp. baking soda
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp. butter, melted and a wee bit more for cooking
- Pinch of salt
- The Collective Coconut Kefir Cultured Yoghurt
- Toasted coconut flakes
Now you need to:
- Start by slicing the mango in half lengthways, cutting around the stone carefully. Slice a criss-cross pattern into the flesh of each half of the mango to create li’l squares, then use a spoon to scoop it out into a bowl.
- Use a fine grater to grate the lime zest on top of the mango, followed by the ginger. Squeeze over the juice of half the lime and then toss it all together and leave to sit whilst you cook your pancakes.
- Put the milk and vinegar in a bowl, stir and then let sit.
- Sift the flours, sugar, baking powder and baking soda into a different large mixing bowl.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk the egg then whisk in the cooled melted butter. Season with a pinch of salt.
- Add the egg mixture to the milk ‘n’ vinegar and whisk to combine, then pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Whisk everything together until you have a smooth batter.
- Melt a knob of butter in a frying pan on a medium – high heat. When the pan is hot, spoon in roughly two tablespoons of the batter. Wait until you see bubbles appearing on the surface of the pancake then flip it over with a spatula to cook the other side for a minute or so. Keep the cooked pancakes warm in a low heat oven while you cook the rest.
- Stack the pancakes up on plates and serve with big dollops of The Collective Coconut Kefir Cultured Yoghurt topped with the mango mix. Sprinkle generously with toasted coconut flakes and finish with a good drizzle of runny honey *drool*
This recipe was created by Olivia Williamson. If you make our Spelt Pancakes with our Coconut Kefir Cultured Yoghurt, then share it with us on social media and tag us in your creations using #thecollectivekitchen and we might have to treat you!
Facebook – thecollectiveinuk
Twitter – collectivedairy
Instagram – thecollectiveuk